NOW IS THE TIME FOR WALCREST
Put into service in 1956, the current Walcrest facility directly serves more than 200,000 area residents. Due to the facility’s age, the pump station and reservoir have exceeded their useful service life and now are in need of a major overhaul.
With the completion of the new facility in 2019, the Walcrest reservoir and pump station will provide greater efficiency, operational flexibility and enhanced water quality for the community for decades to come.
Traffic Control Plan
Traffic around the construction site will be affected and controls, including electronic signage, are in place. Traffic controls began December 2015. You can find specifics on traffic routing around the construction site here:
Updated traffic control plan for Walcrest project – 2016
- Dallas Water Utilities requested and the Director of Public Works approved extended project hours during the summer months, allowing Walcrest crews to work in the cooler morning and evening hours during our hot Texas summer. Construction activity is approved from 6:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Saturday. There is not any work planned for Sundays. We are working hard to ensure we are respectful neighbors. Thank you for your understanding. (6/19/2016)
- Emerging engineers from Hillcrest High School’s Academy of Engineering toured the Walcrest site this week. DWU and the contractor gave them a tour of the demolished pump station and reservoir. We enjoy connecting with our young citizens and hope to inspire their future careers in science, technology, engineering and math. (5/20/2016)
Ms. Combs’ senior class at Hillcrest High School’s Academy of Engineering joined DWU and our contractor for a tour.
- Since the weather was nice over the weekend, the contractor was onsite working. However, the trucking and traffic controls were not conducted. Construction activities will continue as usual this week. (5/15/2016)
- The excavation for the new pump station is getting deeper by the day. Rock anchors are continually installed to stabilize the side walls. The old reservoir is almost entirely demolished, recycling the concrete and steel. (5/2/2016)
Demolition of the Walcrest reservoir is almost complete.
Progress continues on the new Walcrest pump station.
Construction Look Ahead:
- March 2016 – September 2016: Demolition of reservoir
- April 2016: Complete pump station excavation and begin pump station construction
- June 2016 – September 2016: Begin construction of new Walcrest pump station
Questions? Visit the FAQ and History sections for more information.